Thursday, September 17, 2015

Trendsetting... Or, Fad-setting? (Class Blogging #1)

Posted by Meghan at 1:43 PM
I'm in an IMC class, which stands for Integrated Marketing Communication, and every few weeks we have to write a blog post based on a prompt. I think I might start posting them here!

Anyways, this week's prompt was 'Trends vs. Fads', meaning we had to write about both fads and trends we've participated in. So, here's my answer:

As someone who has been interested in fashion since freshman year of high school, I have gone through an outrageous number of fads. To try and find some to write about, I went digging through my Facebook profile (terrifying, I know) to try and dredge up something that wasn't entirely embarrassing to share. The only thing I could really find there was a slew of ridiculous graphic tees from Limited Too, circa 2006. I loved those shirts so badly, and though they were mass-produced monstrosities with glittery cartoons of monkeys, dogs, frogs, or cats on them, I had almost every single one the store made. It admittedly was not the height of my fashion sense, but it was what every girl at my junior high school wore. It really only lasted until junior high ended, and Limited Too fell out of business completely, which obviously put an end to those shirts that I'd saved up all of my allowance for. Justice replaced Limited Too soon afterwards, and little twelve-year old me couldn't find it in me to replace a store I once loved--and neither could the other girls in my junior high school.
Trends for me are a little more relevant, though I do cycle through quite a few of those as well. If you had asked me three or four years ago to wear a pair of plain, black leggings, I would have probably given you some choice words. I never was a fan of them in high school, thinking that they looked not-put-together and just not my style at all (I had just gotten my first job at Gap, mind you), so I ignored them and kept buying jeans and jeans and jeans. Almost as soon as I got to college, though, my perspective on fashion shifted quite a lot. I found it harder and harder to dress cute for classes at nine in the morning, and started resorting to gym shorts and a t-shirt or something similar. It wasn't until fall of freshman year that I realized I'd need something comfier and warmer to go to classes in, once the temperature dropped. And, thus, my love of leggings began. Now, I've got a slew of leggings in my sock drawer, in a multitude of colors. Like every other girl on campus, I'll break them out as soon as the temperature drops below 70 degrees, along with my flannel shirts and baggy sweatshirts. They've turned from a trend to a staple in my closet, which my roommates love to berate me for. Leggings are here to stay, people. At least for a few more years.

So, there's my answer! Let me know what fads + trends you've fallen victim to!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

blonde and something Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos