Friday, January 22, 2016

University Eats Q & A!

Posted by Meghan at 1:26 PM
Hey everyone! I'm back with another installment of my University help!

This installment is focusing on what there is to eat on campus, and what you can do to avoid eating the same thing every night or falling into an unhealthy rut!


-x-x-x-

Q: What about meals? Surely dorms don’t have mini fridges, so I’m assuming you mostly had to eat out or something.

A: I actually had a micro-fridge! It was a microwave sitting on top of a fridge. I had to rent it from the school, but it was a good investment. But, if you can't do that, I still had a lot of food in a bin under my bed--things like chips, pretzels, peanut butter, etc... In my apartment, it's a lot easier to eat, since I've got a working kitchen. But, eating somewhere on campus is always an option--I mean, it is for me. I have a certain number of 'meal swipes' for the week, but I mostly only use them for dinner (I have 10 a week, starting fresh every Monday). Plus, we paid for a number of 'food dollars' as well (I think between $200-300?) that we could use on-campus at places like Subway or Dunkin' Donuts, or even the little marketplaces on campus. But, keeping small food items in your room is alright. I did that and I was fine!


-

Q: I hope I can get something like the micro-fridge you rented. It would make life much easier for me as I can survive just fine with a mini fridge and a microwave. Let’s just not mention how tasty or how healthy most of my meals would be, haha! I guess that’s uni life for undergrads, especially freshers like meself.

A: A micro-fridge will save your life. It's not big (obviously), but it did what it needed to. I even shared it with someone & there was enough space! It definitely makes things easier--you can freeze/heat & refreeze/reheat things as often as you please! Oh, I'm convinced that living healthy on campus is totally possible! I'm trying (with my roommates) to get into a better routine & eating healthier this semester. We'll see how it goes, but I've already found some good smoothie recipes (I don't know if you'll be able to have a blender, but I'm allowed to!), & I've found some alternatives to the junk food I already eat. If you need any ideas there, I can try & help there, too!


-

Q: Can I also ask if you guys cook now that you’re sharing an apartment with roommates? Because I’m not a cook at all, but I can cook to survive. So like, do you guys actually use your kitchen on a daily basis or not really? Because with classes I’m guessing you’d have little time left (and disposition) to be making your own food every single day.

A: You can ask anything you want, love! And, yes, occasionally we do. We don't have a lot of cooking supplies (yet) so we just kind of make whatever we can with an oven/stove and a pizza pan! We've made pizza, cookies, and a few other things I can't think of. I'm getting a frying pan when I go home next, so I'll be able to make eggs & grilled cheese and stuff. But, we have a microwave, too, so popcorn is always an option, as is mac & cheese. If you can operate a microwave, you should be totally fine! Most grocery stores sell anything you'd ever want in microwavable form--whether it's good or not is a totally different story. I don't personally make food every day, but I know my roommates usually make lunch in the microwave (I usually make PB&J sandwiches, which are easier)!


-

Q: That’s nice that you guys have baked some things already! Homemade pizza is a tricky one, isn’t it? I’m too scared to even attempt making it by myself, you guys have some really good cooking skills there!

A: Yeah, we've baked a few things--not much, mind you, but enough that we're comfortable with the stove/oven settings. And, yeah, that's about how it goes! If we make cookies... They're gone in a day. And, actually, ours isn't really homemade--it's a frozen pizza! But, I've made handmade pizza before and it's not too terribly difficult! I probably could walk you through that, too!


-

Q: On the sandwiches note, I bet all the money I don’t have that I’ll end up making myself a sandwich for lunch and dinner everyday just for the practicality of it. 

A: Sandwiches will become your best friends. I promise.


-

Q: You know what, if I get a microfridge thing I’ll endeavour to keep up healthy eating - I actually LOVE SALADS AND GREENS. I suppose I can keep the leaves on the fridge and make myself a salad with veggies fairly quickly :) Which means salad sandwiches will very likely become my everyday lunch!

A: You can totally eat healthy at school. You just have to work a little harder at it than eating terribly. But, good! If you like salads, you should be just fine! From my experience, most universities offer salad options at at least one of the on-campus dining places. There's nothing wrong with salad sandwiches!


-

I hope this was of some help to some of you new college students or rising college students!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

blonde and something Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos